Building Blocks DC, and its partnered Gun Violence Prevention Emergency Operations Center, is the first-of-its-kind in the country to address gun violence using a public health approach. Through a whole of government approach and in partnership with the District’s most impacted communities, Building Blocks DC is working aggressively to address the urgent needs of District residents.
As a first-of-its kind approach to gun violence prevention The Building Blocks DC initiative, will:
- Engage residents and communities where they are
- Connect communities with critical support services
- Inspire individuals and communities to co-create their own positive transformations
Through BBDC’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will achieve its goal of creating positive individual and community transformations by focusing on:
- the small number of individuals responsible for a large amount of gun violence
- the small number of places where most of the gun violence is occurring
- connecting residents to critical support services
Using a public health approach to gun violence, BBDC will be:
- creating an emergency operations center to coordinate violence prevention efforts across District government
- partnering with impacted communities to address the urgent needs of our residents
- using a place-based strategy with a data-driven approach to create a block-by-block analysis to meet people where they are and tailor individualized service delivery to this population.